1. Money

Laura Lake

Marketing Question of the Week: Where Do I Find a List of Local Businesses?

By November 12, 2012

Question: Can you make for us a list of marketing tools available for local businesses and rank it by efficiency?

Answer: There are many ways to get a list of local businesses. The quality of the list will be determined on how you obtain the list.

You can search online for local businesses. Google and Yahoo both have local business directories. DMOZ also used to have a great directory, but to be honest I'm not sure how often it is updated. What I love about these directories is the ability to search by geographic region as well as industry.

You can purchase lists by list brokers such as InfoUSA.

You can also check with your local Chamber of Commerce about purchasing their membership list. I know they sell it because when I joined the chamber I was getting at least one telemarketing call a day.

The cost of the list will determine how much work you are willing to put into it and what type of data you are interested in, for example do you want their address, telephone number or email address? You can also find the data online for free, but it will cost you time and resources.

Your Turn: How do you find local businesses that you want to market to?

Connect With Laura: Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn | Google Plus

Comments
February 22, 2010 at 4:33 pm
(1) Jenniffer Frias says:

Good afternoon,

I love all your articles, and read as many as I can. You can find information about local business in the chamber of commerce, I do it. The newspaper it is secondary but in the local newspaper you can find them. Hope it helps.

February 25, 2010 at 8:41 am
(2) Go2Mach2 says:

Laura – Great Marketing Question – and if I had the perfect answer, I would be directing people from a sailboat off the islands right about now!

Google and Yahoo are fine for getting basic information (forget DMOZ for local – not their purpose). Chambers and Rotaries are fine – so are insiderpages and Merchantcircle. Association Directories are good – if someone will give them to you. The best way I have found – mainly because every Local Area is different – is to find one client in that area – somehow – and then launch your marketing campaigns around them – both offline and online marketing.

No “Local” marketing campaign moves quicker than word of mouth – which includes online word of mouth.
Some effective marketing ideas at: http://www.stellarpointgroup.com/effective-marketing.html

Thanks Again…your questions always generate some new ideas for me.

February 25, 2010 at 11:06 am
(3) Sara Paxton - Evans Media Group says:

Great article Laura. Other feedback we receive are lists and information on people on Twitter and other social networking sites. Do you recommend leveraging Linked In to do targeted demographics for businesses? If not, what would you recommend?

March 9, 2010 at 2:06 pm
(4) Deb Lilla says:

The library is a great place and plus it’s FREE! If you’ve never been to the reference dept., then plan for an hour or two. The time investment will be well worth it. They have many business resources with lists available. (i.e. Business Journal Book of Lists, plus many more.) Once you get a library card, many resources are accessible from home via your computer! I regulary go to their databases at least once a month!

March 9, 2010 at 2:40 pm
(5) marketing says:

Great tip Deb, thanks for sharing. We often forget about our local libraries :)

November 18, 2012 at 9:52 am
(6) Ugg Boots Sale says:

There’s certainly a lot to find out about this topic. I really like all of the points you made.