A positioning statement provides direction or focus to a business or organization. It is a no nonsense statement of how your company is perceived in the minds of your target market. Develop your statement by following the steps below.
Time Required: Two 1 hour sessions.
- Write down who your business is.
- Write down what business you are in.
- Think about and write down who your company serves. Who does your target market represent?
- Brainstorm and write down what it is that your target market needs.
- Make a list of your competitors.
- Write down and explain what makes your business different from your competitors.
- Make a list of the unique benefits that derive from your product or services.
- Use the above information and in the second session focus on refining it to the final statement.
- Publish the final statement shortly after the second session ends to prevent changes, additions, and more meetings.
- Use the first session to brainstorm each question.Use the second session to focus on refinement and agreement.
- Make sure your statement is clear and defensible.Keep in mind that a statement of position expresses how your company wishes to be perceived.
- Your statement should create clarity, consistence, and continuity to the target market that your organization serves.
- Keep output unfiltered, this will help in the final production of the statement.
What You Need
- Pen or Pencil
- Paper or Journal
- Management Team