Stop it! Social media is about interaction, and if I've said this once, I've said it at least a hundred times: social media is about interacting! When you interact, you create relationships; when you create these relationships, you create opportunities to share your products and services. This doesn't happen overnight. It takes time, consistency, and a genuine interest in the creation and nurturing of those relationships. If you aren't willing to do that, then hire a consultant that will do it for you; and if you aren't willing to do that, then don't do it at all.
There is not a standard list of rights and wrongs when it comes to social media, but there is one thing that is constant: no matter what industry you are in, do it badly and you will destroy your reputation within the social media realm. You can save your reputation by minding your manners.
Social Media Marketing No-Nos
- It's not all about you, interact. Get to know others; don't just try to sell and promote your products. It won't work.
- Spamming is not ok, ever. It's true that spamming is becoming a problem in the social media networks, and we are being required to weed through it, just like we do in our email inboxes. Don't spam followers; if they didn't ask for it, don't send it. It's that simple! Permission marketing is key.
- Inconsistency will lead to failure. You must be consistent when it comes to using social media. Participating once a month or once a week just won't get the results you desire.
- Don't be a social media snob. Obviously social marketing is about being social; be willing to learn from others, and this isn't just about others in your industry.
- Want followers? You will have to be a follower. Just like you can't open a storefront and think that customers will just show up, you cannot sign up and start off in social media thinking everyone is just going to come and follow you. You must be a follower. Social marketing isn't about flying solo, participate.